Vision and mission
The vision of the National Human Rights Committee of Qatar is based on the conviction that human rights is one of the most important issues of the national community in particular and the international community in general .
Acknowledging these rights whetherthey are political, civil, cultural, social or economic, and whether they are individual or group rights, is a commitment to equality, justice, freedom and human dignity of all humans without discrimination.
The protection and promotion of human rights for everyone subject to the jurisdiction of the state of Qatar (citizens, residents and transit travelers) in order for the Committee to achieve this mission, NHRC seeks to raise awareness and education of rights, provide protection and support necessary for individuals and develop abilities.
The National Human Rights Committee of Qatar is neither a governmental entity nor a civil society institution, It is a national official committee of a special nature and itcan neither be described as an administrative entity in its narrow sense nor a decision-making body.On one hand, The NHRCis considered to be an advisory body concerned withhuman rights at the national level of authorities and administrative bodies in the state; On the other hand,it receives and investigate complaints from individuals or groups.
- Awareness and education on human rights for the various parties and groups under international covenants on human rights and national laws.
- Strengthening and empowering individuals through training programs and other activities to identify, prioritize and defend their rightsand seeking to ensure its respect.
- Expanding the human rights network at the national, regional and international levels.
- Monitoring and reporting human rights violations.
- Providing information andlegal and social support services for victims of human rights violations.
- Spreading and developingthe culture of human rights and defending these rights.
Mandate of the Committee:
- Achieve the objectives embodied in international conventions and treaties on human rights to which Qatar is a party and the recommendation on the accession to other conventions and charters.
- Advise concerned bodies in the state on matters related to human rights and freedoms
- Investigate violations of human rights and freedoms, if any, coordinate with the competent authorities to take necessary actions and suggest suitable means to deal with such violations and avoid their occurrence
- Put forward proposals for stakeholders on the existing legislation and draft laws, and their relevance to the provisions of international conventions on human rights to which Qatar is a party
- Monitor the human rights situation, prepare and submit related reports to the Council of Ministers
- Monitor what might be raised about the human rights situation and coordinate with concerned bodies to address them
- Take part in the preparation of national reports to be submitted to the state and international bodies concerned with human rights and coordinate with the concerned authorities to respond to them
- Cooperate with international and regional organizations concerned with human rights and freedoms and participate in related international forums.
- Raise awareness and enriches education on human rights and freedoms.
- Conduct field visits to penal, detention, health and education facilities, correctional institutions and labor communities, and to monitor the human rights situation there
- Coordinate and cooperate with the concerned authorities of human rights in the state in terms of their reference and roles.
- Hold and the organize conferences, seminars and courses on topics related to human rights and freedoms and coordinate with the concerned authorities in this regard if necessary.
- Contribute to the preparation and research programs related to human rights and participate in its implementation.